Google+ Mommy Moments with Abby: Russian in my Pocket Review

Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Russian in my Pocket Review





For those of you with Ipods or Ipads who are travelling abroad this year it may be a good idea to get an app for that!  The language that is, you can study and study, but when in an actual usage situation with native speakers finding the right terms can be tricky.  Our minds only work so fast when recalling facts and facts which we haven't frequently use can take longer to recall.  Do  you really want to be trying to order a meal and have it take 5 minutes just to remember how to order a salad risking annoying your waitstaff(we all know what can potentially happen then!!!)?  Check out this fun review of an app just for this issue!  
I am so excited that I got to review an iPad app for Russian in my pocket.  This is great for those beginners or not even starters who are travelling to a Russian speaking area! It's also great for those who just love to learn and enjoy using those 10 minute Dr visit waits to stretch their minds!  It is organized well having the categories that would most likely be useful to a foreigner.  I really enjoyed their Restaurant section which can help anyone order a meal, plus if you are horrible at pronunciation just let the iPad do the talking for you as you click to hear the phrase!  My mom personally liked the Emergency section which has the phrase, "They have escaped!" in it and while I can't think of a reason for a foreigner to use that phrase, I've never been over seas so I won't rule it out, or it could be used by us moms when talking about some wild kiddo's which may have left a dressing room while the mom is un-disposed.   
I think one of my favorite things about this app is the Say in Jest section that each category has!  I think it makes me feel more like a native if I can jest with someone or use their slang(there is a slang category as well).  Being a lover of shopping, I'd probably be studying the, "I don't know where to look first" phrase in this category.  
The categories are: Basics, Greetings, Introductions, Money, In the City, Hotel, Sightseeing, Shopping, Restaurant, Slang, Private Talks and Emergency. 
Check it out for yourself by clicking HERE or visiting http://itunes.apple.com/app/english-russian-travel-phrasebook/id517270293?mt=8




Written by Russian teachers especially for English speakers it includes a Russian translation and phonetic transcription and an audio recording with real pronunciation by native Russian speaker, you'll be understood in any situation for any of the phrases.

FEATURES: 
- Over 420 of the most common travel phrases with Russian translations and phonetic transcriptions, including audio. 
- Each audio file recorded by a native Russian speaker to help you speak Russian powerfully and correctly, too. 
- Say in jest - a list of idioms that you won't find in a dictionary is attached to every category (except in the Slang category). You will find about 40 idioms in total. 
- Slang and informal phrases used when speaking to people you know well. 
- Mini-vocabulary list in the Shopping category. 
- Search facility to help you instantly find the phrase or word you are looking for. 
- Helpful information about the Russian alphabet and Russian pronunciation. 
- No internet connection required. 
- Designed for iPhone, iPod touch and iPad. 
- Retina Display optimized graphics.
I received one or more of the products mentioned above for free using Tomoson.com. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Can't get enough Mommy Moments?

Need more Mommy Moments? Check out my wedding blog! That's right, Mommy Moments is getting married! Twice!

Shopping Job