Google+ Mommy Moments with Abby: #Curbside Chaos

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

#Curbside Chaos

This post brought to you by Bulbs. Dig, Drop, Done.. All opinions are 100% mine.

I just visited Curbside Chaos to see who won and am so jealous at the makeover that Ruth and her family in Virginia got!  Their back yard was turned into a backyard escape with shrubs, perenials, and bulbs making it beautiful to look an relax in.  Taniya Nayak did an amazing job designing the look of the backyard and creating dimension to what appears to be a pretty large outdoor space.  Check out the video of the yard makeover: 




It got me thinking about what I would do with a $5,000 yard makeover.  I would probably re-seal the area around the pool and replenish the rockery in the back yard.  I would form a floral area at the base of the tree's in the backyard and a covered area off the back sliding door, then I would re-seed (for the billionth time) the front.  I would have the fruit tree's, which currently look like fruit bushes, shaped and tied up so they grow into more of a tree.  I would also add some flowers to the base of the bogunvia's and increas the number of rosemary, sage, and lavendar in the front rockery.  Maybe if money was left over I'd remove the giant tree in the front that does nothing but shed it's leaves all the time all over the place and replace it with a better shade tree that doesn't shed so much.
Curbside Chaos isn't over, the contest is but you can still help them help other's keep their homes by twittering with the hashtag #CurbsideChaos, "Bulbs. Dig, Drop, Done." and they will donate $1.00 to Rebuilding Together - the nation’s leading nonprofit, working to preserve affordable homeownership and revitalize communities.
After fantasizing about what I'd to do makeover my yard with $5,000 I decided just for fun to check out the Garden Guru Tool located in the bottom left of the screen. It is set up to help you figure out which bulb is perfect for your home based on where you live!  Here is how to use the tool: 

Step 1 – Pick your Country
Step 2 – Pick your location within that Country

Step 3 – Choose the type of bulb you want to grow 

Step 4 – Check out the Planting Guide that shows you how to plant your bulbs.
Check out my Planting Guide:

Chionodoxa

Steps for better growth

  • Start with firm, plump chionodoxa bulbs, free from cuts, bruises or mold. Plant in Fall (Sept 23-Dec 22), when soil has cooled off.
  • Using a spade, dig a hole 3-6 inches deep and place the bulb pointed end up.
  • Cover and lightly pack soil, then water thoroughly- and you’re done!
Tips: In areas with mild winters, plant later and chill your bulbs up to 8 weeks prior to planting. Plant in a sunny or partially shaded area. Space your bulbs 2-4 inches apart.















Bulbs seem so easy that even a black thumb like me could do it!  Seriously, I've tried to grow cactus, vegetable garden after vegetable garden, snap dragons, wild flowers, and the list goes on.  But when I soaked and planted the bulbs I now have my first shoots!  Even if they die in a week, that's better than I've ever been able to do with a plant!   
For some bulb planting idea's that would be helpful for my recent birding obsession I checked out visit www.digdropdone.com to learn more and met Evelyn who was cracking me up with her latest bird feeder idea, but she got me thinking to ways to help keep squirrels at bay from the ground at least! So, before the first frost make sure to get your seeds in the ground so you too can have a beautiful spring!  


 


Visit Sponsor's Site

No comments:

Post a Comment

Can't get enough Mommy Moments?

Need more Mommy Moments? Check out my wedding blog! That's right, Mommy Moments is getting married! Twice!

Shopping Job