Google+ Mommy Moments with Abby: Dreams and Driving

Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Dreams and Driving

This post brought to you by NMEDA. All opinions are 100% mine.

NMEDA_LOGOWe take so much for granted in life.  Sometimes, I think back on when I worked taking care of other people who needed a little help and think about what it would be like to need more help then moving a couch from here to there or killing the occasional spider.  How do you find joy and motivation knowing you rely on others so heavily?  When I think that dark thought I remember one special patient who had more challenges then most.  A quadriplegic with limited arm movement and no hand function. Of all the people I had at the time, this person was the most positive and upbeat.  They required the most physical care from me, but was the only one who didn't complain about it!?

They talked very frankly about their condition, but would then get a sparkle in their eye as they asked to tell you about their goals.  Oddly, didn't see college as a goal even though they were going via internet class broadcasts set up for them.  When asked the explaination was, well everyone goals to college.  So, what was their goal you ask.  It was to drive!  

Screen shot 2012-09-06 at 7.14.25 PM+Apparently, there are cars and tools for the cars set up for someone just like her.  This way she could drive instead of having to wait for me or call a service to go get something.  I was amazed and so I looked it up and there are companies out there that specialize in just this, creating solutions for those with disabilities that want to drive.  Companies like NMEDA offer great services like, individual in-person evaluations to best fit person to car, onsite sales and support, and 24 hours local emergency assistance.

This made the biggest obstical for my clients dream to come true a simple task of muscle building and then learning to drive just like you or I.  I ended my work with the company while the client was still working at getting to drive, but they were well on their way. I often wonder if they ever achieved the goal and I hope they did.  If anyone deserved the freedom a car that puts the wheelchair and the driver in the car can offer it was them.   

If you have anyone that could benefit from this type of service or your just curious like me,  visit a NMEDA QAP (Quality Assurance Program) Dealer for mobility solutions.

Visit Sponsor's Site

No comments:

Post a Comment

Can't get enough Mommy Moments?

Need more Mommy Moments? Check out my wedding blog! That's right, Mommy Moments is getting married! Twice!

Shopping Job